Referral to Low Vision Services
If you do not provide low vision services, you should offer the patient the opportunity to visit a comprehensive low vision clinic or whatever low services are available in your area.
What do comprehensive Vision Rehabilitation Clinics provide?
• Functional vision evaluation- not just single letter Snellen acuity but also evaluation of reading, field loss, scotoma and contrast sensitivity, refraction with trial frame and loose lens and possibly others such as microperimetry.
• Evaluation of individual patient's goals, motivation and capabilities.
• Demonstration and provision of appropriate adaptive devices, aids and magnifiers as cost-efficiently as possible.
• Occupational therapy training and home visits.
• Support groups and workshops in use of adaptive devices and software.
• Counseling and family education regarding challenges of vision loss.
• Referral to appropriate agencies and organizations such as state Vocational Rehabilitation services, the Veterans Administration, and others.
• Ensure that the patient continues under regular medical care and returns promptly to Ophthalmologist if change in vision occurs.
For those interested in starting a Vision Rehabilitation program
• By logging in to AAO web site, may obtain "Smart Sight, Making the Most of Remaining Vision, Academy Initiative in Vision Rehabilitation, Level 3 Guide" and "Preferred Practice Patterns: Vision Rehabilitation for Adults". The Vision Rehabilitation Committee is eager to help anyone interested in becoming involved in Vision Rehabilitation and mentoring is available at several centers. Or you may contact one or both of the two low vision medical clinics in Alabama, the UAB Low Vision Center in Birmingham.
Low Vision Services in Alabama
UAB Center for Low Vision Rehabilitation
The UAB Center for Vision Rehabilitation at the UAB Department of Ophthalmology in Birmingham is a comprehensive low vision rehabilitation center, offering initial evaluation by a residency trained low vision specialist, rehabilitation training by Occupational Therapists, a technology center and psychology services.
Callahan Eye Foundation Hospital
Community Services for Vision Rehabilitation
CSVR is a comprehensive low vision rehabilitation clinic, offering initial evaluation by a low vision specialist (MD or OD), rehabilitation training by Occupational Therapists, a full inventory of adaptive technology support groups and computer workshops. CSVR has offices in Montgomery, Mobile and Daphne.